Friday, March 16, 2007

Piracy's never looked so attractive



My recent confinement (thankfully only in a modern meaning), means I've been catching up on a pile of DVDs rescued from the bargain bins of Blockbuster.

However, being forced to sit through a tedious anti-piracy advert at the start of almost ever film is driving me up the wall.

For those of you who've never had the pleasure, here's an example of the little fuckers that you can't fast forward or skip past.



Now, call me irritable old cow (you wouldn't be the first), but I wouldn't buy a book that didn't let me skip the publishing info page and I wouldn't buy a CD where I can't skip the self-indulgent 'hidden track' at the end, so why do I have to buy DVDs that force me to watch this guff time after time, after time?

Mind you seems like I'm not the only one who objects to them:



Honestly if I have to watch another of these adverts, I may well scream.

Actually, rather than screaming maybe I should just buy pirate DVDs off the market in future; I bet they don't make you sit through tedious copyright featurettes...

1 comment:

hugger steward said...

Sorry? "Movie piracy is stealing"?
Theft: to remove property with the intent to permanently deprive the owner of said property.
So if you wander out of HMV with a DVD without paying, then that's theft, cos the shop has lost the property. When you make a copy of a DVD for your mate, no-one has been deprived of property. It's not theft. It's copyright infringement, and it is illegal, but it's in no way legitimate to use the emotive language of "stealing".

Grrrrrr
Sorry about that. Rant over :-(
Giles