Thursday, September 30, 2004

High and Low Culture



Stewart and I meet at The Lowry tonight to see the English Touring Theatre’s production of Twelfth Night. It’s not a Shakespeare play I have ever seen or read before, but Stewart’s pre-show summary of “twins, people taking different identities, love triangles, misunderstandings, shipwrecks – you know the usual sort of Shakespeare comedy stuff…” proved pretty accurate.

A couple of the actors were a little below par, but others more than made up for them and overall it was a thoroughly enjoyable production. I should get to the theatre more often.

The only downside it that neither Stewart nor I had time to eat before the show and we turn out just after 10pm to find Lime has just stopped serving and with the knowledge that the fridge at home is pretty bare.

There’s only one thing for it – I introduce Stewart to the splendours of the Paradise kebab shop in Longsight (naan made to order whilst your heavenly chicken shish cooks on the charcoal grill). It’s Stewart’s turn to buy and he’s well impressed that his donner in naan, my chicken shish and two cans of drink come to £4.50. Somehow memories of the theatre fade with his remarks re me being a cheap date.

I think he was joking…

No comments: