Wednesday, November 10, 2004

Bad Santa



Bad Santa isn’t the film to go to if you’re hoping for a feel good, sentimental, seasonal schmultz-fest. Or indeed if you’re a member of the ‘moral-majority’ that we keep hearing about of late (there’s probably one or two too many butt-f***ing jokes for your liking…).

On the other hand, if you feel that you could appreciate Billy Bob Thornton's take on a hard-living, misanthropic, department store santa and his criminal activities, then this might just be the film for you.

"You know, I think I've turned a corner...I beat the shit out of some kids today. But it was for a purpose. It made me feel good about myself. It was like I did something constructive with my life or something, I dunno, like I accomplished something."

Some great acting, excellent lines and a basic concept that's strong enough to carry the joke through the full length of the film, make this a movie well worth watching (but not with the kids!). In fact had the makers had the guts to cut the very last scene, it might very well have been the perfect antidote to fatuous yule-tide jollity.

No comments: