Saturday, May 09, 2009

Leek - Biddulph



Call me a food snob, but generally I find pub attempts at Asian cuisine to be generally disappointing and a particularly sort of bland westernised beige approximation of the real deal.

Accordingly my expectations last night were rather low, as S and I condescend to partake in the bargain ‘wok’ menu deal at the Three Horseshoes.

I have to say I was pleasantly impressed; not entirely convinced of the sight of a chef wokifying in a staged glass ‘fish-tank’ style view into the kitchen, but the results were pretty darn good.

By the time P arrives to meet us, S and I were well sated.

Today we explored the area and found a walk around the Roaches and Hen Cloud.

Again the weather starts to change and we decide to drive to Biddulph Grange Gardens (National Trust) to explore the gardens and get a bite to eat - I've been promised something called a Staffordshire oatcake.



The gardens are full of hidden nooks and surprise areas, each one tucked out of view of the other. Eccentric English garden design at its extravagent moneyed best.



As for the Staffordshire Oatcake...well imagine a sort of oatmeal and flour cross between a French galette and a scotch pancake. Then smother in melted cheese.



So, so wrong and yet so right.


No comments: