Thursday, April 16, 2009

Rabbit Run



John Updike is one of those authors that you feel you should probably have read something by. So a few months ago, before he died as it turned out, we put him on our book group reading list.

I didn’t totally dislike Rabbit Run, but ploughing through it was at times slightly more of a chore than a pleasure.

It took a while for me to feel engaged and even by the end I found the eponymous Rabbit’s lack of motivation or conscious decision making process difficult to really relate with.

I also felt there was more to be made of the hangover of waking up to find that your days of high school basketball stardom have given way to a second-rate life.

I can see that Updike seemingly captures a particular slice of north American life at a certain point of the twentieth century and part of me is intrigued as to how the character’s life develops in the various sequels. Maybe one day...


No comments: