Monday, May 15, 2006

Boys listening to boys playing guitars



An interesting article on the BBC today, examines the rise in women downloading music and using mp3 players.

According to publishers Emap, this trend is behind the "boom in the number of women reading music magazines". The BBC expands on this, stating that "for the first time, more women are reading metal magazine Kerrang than men, while almost half of Q's under-30 readership is now female".

So maybe it's time for the NME to stop being part of IPC's Ignite! ("Better Men's Media") imprint? Something that has always annoyed me.

You never know, next newsagents will stop stocking the NME amongst Nuts, Zoo, Maxim, FHM and all the other 'whoops my clothes fell off' publications. Then I could search for the last copy without qualms.

And maybe more women will start picking it up...and reading it...and start getting hooked on good music...and then maybe more women will start picking up guitars and...

Hey, you may say I'm a dreamer...but, you're a bloke Mr Lennon, so what would you know about this?

4 comments:

Steve said...

C'mon, girl, NME is balls, a dreadful read whatever your gender. there's a real paucity of good music journalism in the UK. Word seems to be getting closest of late, with the occasional gem in Uncut and Mojo...

John Davies said...

As one who was liberated by the excellent journalism and sass of the NME of the punk/post-punk era I sadly have to agree about its current parlous state. The only music mag I find worth reading these days is THE WIRE, the rest of the good stuff is online via the websites of good stockists with good writers (Rough Trade, Boomkat, Second Layer....) and the promising www.myspace.com is proving to be a good outlet for female artists (alongside others), where they set the agenda and tone.
Great pic of Polly and Bjork - where was that taken?

sally said...

There I knew you liked listening to me playing the guitar really....I'll be bringing it to Iona, so no worries there!!!!

(I take it Steve hasn't had a mention in NME yet then.....don't worry, I'll write a review for them after I've seen him this Thursday..it is Thursday, isn't it.......)

1 i z said...

The NME may not be reaching the heights of quality it used to, but for a weekly paper, covering new music, particularly of the indie genre, well what is there to compete?

The monthlies just don't do it for me in the same way.

And Uncut, err that'd be part of Ignite! again, or as they put it:

"Uncut is the most authoritative music and movie magazine. Every month, it celebrates all that is great in rock and film, both new and old, cult and classic. A premium-priced monthly aimed at men aged 25-44 who are as passionate about the subject as the Uncut team, Uncut celebrates the creative geniuses of music and movies, their work and their lives."

Hmmmm...

I agree John, more and more I get what I've after on-line...